Stockholm terror attack: Manhunt underway after truck plows into shopping center killing 3
That’s what happens when you don’t vet migrants. No one in their right mind invites killers into your home, to kill you. A large beer truck plowed into a crowd at a shopping center in central Stockholm, killing at least three people and injuring at 8 on Friday.
Citing police sources, Sky News reported that a manhunt is underway for the suspect who is thought to have run away towards subway station.
The report follows a claim by Prime Minister Stefan Lofven that one person had been arrested. Police have denied the claim, saying nobody has been arrested in connect to the attack.
No one know just how many dead or injured.
Broadcaster SVT says at least five people have been killed in the attack but police could not immediately confirm that. Other reports said at least two people were killed.
Lofven called the crash a terror attack against the country.
“Sweden has been attacked,” Lofven said. “This indicates that it is an act of terror.”
In a statement Friday, they said that they cannot exclude this is an act of terror based on other events in Europe.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Friday’s attack, but vehicles have been common weapons in recent extremist attacks. Police said a truck ran over a crowd at Ahlens department store around 9 a.m. EST, injuring a large number of people.
People in the downtown area fled in panic, and Stockholm’s Central Station for trains and the subway, which is a few hundred yards from the scene, was evacuated.
Spokeswoman Towe Hagg would not confirm reports of shots fired in other parts of the city.
A government source told Reuters all Swedish government offices had been closed. All ministers were safe, the source said.
Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf said in a brief statement that the Swedish royal family had noted the attack “with dismay” and sent condolences to the families of the victims and injured.
“We follow developments but as of now our thoughts go to the victims and their families,” he said.
Homeland security officials say they are monitoring the situation.
Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman said the German government’s “thoughts are with the people in Stockholm, the injured, the relatives, first responders and police.”
Steffen Seibert said Friday on Twitter following the apparent attack in Sweden: “We stand together against terror.”
Europe has reeled from a string of terror attacks involving drivers ramming trucks into populated areas. In July 2016, a truck plowed into a crowd at a waterfront promenade in the French tourist hotspot of Nice, killing 86 people. Police killed the driver, Mohamed Lahouiaej Bouhlel. The Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility.
Just over two weeks ago in London, a driver linked to radical Islam crashed his rented SUV into a crowd on Westminster Bridge before attacking an officer on the grounds of Parliament. A fifth victim of his rampage died Friday: a Romanian woman who fell into the river below. Dozens of other people were wounded. The killer, Khalid Masood, was shot dead at Parliament.
An ISIS terror cell reportedly entered Sweden at this time last year with the intent to carry out an attack on Stockholm.
The cell, reportedly, planned to ‘attack civilian targets in the capital’ in April 2016. Sweden has the second highest ‘ISIS fighters per capita’ in the EU, just trailing Belgium, with intelligence services identifying around 300 who have left the country to join jihadists in the Middle East since 2013.